Full-Time Lighting Supervisor – Made by Maddie
We are on the lookout for a talented Lighting Supervisor to join us on an exciting upcoming TV Series, Made By Maddie. Created by Paula Rosenthal, and Produced by Silvergate Media (known for Sunny Day and Peter Rabbit), this animated series follows a little girl, Maddie, in the high fashion world as she makes everything around her a bit brighter, bolder and more brilliant, one design fix at a time.
Following the Director, Art Director/Production Designer and/or Visual Effects Supervisor, the Lighting Supervisor utilizes lighting principals and techniques to realize the Director’s vision. He/she has the ability to translate an image such as a photograph into functioning rigs that fulfill the project’s stylistic and complexity expectations. He/she oversees the team as the shots evolve from preliminary lighting through final render.
This role will involve working closely with a remote team of artists, and ensuring consistency between the two studios.
Responsibilities and Duties
– Following the Director, Art Director/Production Designer and/or Visual Effects Supervisor’s guidance, the Lighting Supervisor oversees the creation of the project’s look and lighting style/technique.
– Works closely with other departments to ensure the visual direction is met through lighting.
-Ensures consistency of character and environment lighting set ups and shot complexity requirements as per storytelling needs.
– Evaluates and casts artists according to their strengths.
– Ability to work within the lighting and rendering pipeline and capable of troubleshooting common rendering and lighting technical issues.
– Collaborates with the creative leads and CG Supervisor to ensure that all lighting and rendering requirements are successfully and efficiently met within the confines of the project’s timeline and fiscal parameters.
– Responsible for performance management and Lighting Artists reviews.
– Ability to prioritize shot lighting assignments with the goal to facilitate optimal work flow in the production pipeline as it pertains shot production.
– Provides vision, feedback, motivation and encouragement to the team.
– Motivates, mentors and supports the crew to consistently strive towards excellence.
– Partners with the production team in tracking and ensuring the on-time completion of shot assignments.
– Interprets, implements, and facilitates notes and feedback from Director, Producer, Art Director/Production Designer and Visual Effects Supervisor in a timely and qualitatively acceptable way.
– Collaborates with Surfacing Surfacing Department Supervisor in achieving the desired look and establishing the production design complexity and behavioural consistency as it pertains to characters, props and environments.
– Collaborates with Effects Department Supervisor to test efficacy of the special effects, modifying lighting as necessary.
Qualifications and Skills
– Degree and/or diploma in fine arts or animation or equivalent experience required.
– 4-6+ years of experience working in a professional environment within their discipline.
– Expertise in developing lighting styles/techniques per project’s production design requirements. Experience in photography is an asset.
– Superior understanding of principles of lighting (such as choice of light, placement of the light source, its direction and how to create the desired effect such as contrast and shadows). In-depth knowledge of compositing a plus.
– Ability to apply superior knowledge of digital 3D animation, special effects and lighting. – Advanced knowledge of compositing principles and compositing software such as Nuke.
– Superior knowledge of Maya and rendering software such as Renderman, Redshift and/or Arnold. Ability to script is an asset.
– Maintains up-to-date knowledge in the areas of rendering, lighting, shading and compositing.
– Evaluates and recommends relevant software program.
– Ability to liaise with artists, crew/technical staff and clearly communicate production process, plans and concepts and set clear expectations.
– Ability to collaborate and facilitate feedback requested by executives.
– Excellent leadership skills inspiring the team to work as a cohesive unit and eager to put forth their best. Ability to predict potential problems and trouble shoot as necessary. Open to and encourages feedback and new initiatives.
– Proven abilities to oversee design development from the conceptual stage through completion, approval and delivery of final artwork deliverables.
– Adaptable to change, he/she can alter course of action quickly per production needs. Highly motivated, pro-active, solution-minded, solid work ethic and positive attitude. Consistently strives to expand knowledge base.
– Makes decisions in a timely manner. Accepts accountability for own actions. Creatively solves problems, eliminates roadblocks and focuses on issue at hand.
– Outstanding organizational and time management skills. Ability to multitask and delegate.
– Outstanding problem solving skills and ability to work collaboratively
– Responsible for managing the Lighting Department while meeting quota expectation per project’s requirements.
758 total views, 24 today