Full-Time Junior Layout / Matchmove Artist at ILM
The Junior Layout/Matchmove Artist will be part of the Layout Team which acts as a central hub for all shot preparation to ensure continuity and camera accuracy in CG elements including; match move, layout and performance retargeting. This role can suit an entry level graduate looking for their first role in the industry, as well as Junior level artists with commercial experience.
Matchmoving is the replication of the real set, camera move, actor body and facial performance within the computer for later use by animators and technical directors. Each shot in which 3D computer graphics are to be added begins with a matchmove.
Often this includes manipulating both 2D and 3D elements, while maintaining accurate camera perspective and, in the case of body and facial capture, working with character rigs and in-house software to faithfully reproduce a live performance on a CG character.
Layout is anything that deviates from what was shot on set. This includes restaging, retiming, blending and adjusting cameras to achieve a new camera move to fulfill the client brief. Matchmove Artists may also assist in initial staging of CG actors and assets in a shot. In some cases shots might be entirely computer generated with no live action background elements.
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience as an artist, animator, or camera operator.
REQUIRED SKILLS / COMPETENCIES
- Overall general knowledge about the film making process, including cameras, lenses and plates with an understanding of the effects of different lenses on perspectives.
- Ability to reproduce exact camera moves within a computer environment.
- Adjust camera positions and animation to fulfill client briefs and match previz. Work closely with the Layout Supervisor to ensure final camera move and workflow is legitimate with surrounding shots in the sequence.
- Ability to track and solve rigid objects and matchanimate actors using rigs and witness cameras to recreate onset action accurate in both camera and world space.
- Ability to solve and edit facial motion capture data. Work closely with the Facial Supervisor to ensure actors performances are faithfully reconstructed. This involves a mix of traditional match move, observation and refinement, requiring a good eye for detail and an appreciation of facial motion, timing and expression.
- Requires an enthusiastic appetite for problem solving, while learning new software and workflows based on training documents and video tutorials.
- Ability to work well independently and as part of a team.
- Excellent communication skills as the role requires constant dialogue with the team lead, the team, production and other departments.
- Good time management in order to keep on schedule.
REQUIRED TECHNICAL SKILLS
- Experience in a 3d software package (such as Maya) and show confidence with the interface, modelling and sculpting.
- Knowledge of a tracking software package such as 3DEqualizer, Pf Track or SynthEyes
- Exposure to LINUX OS.
- Must have the ability and willingness to learn new in house proprietary software.
- Exposure to motion capture and facial work is a big plus.
About Industrial Light & Magic:
Founded in 1975 by George Lucas, ILM is the leading effects facility in the world, serving the motion picture, commercial production, and attraction industries. ILM has created visual effects for over 325 feature films and has played a key role in seven of the top 10 worldwide box-office hits of all time and has contributed to 25 of the top 50. ILM has set the standard for visual effects, creating some of the most stunning images in the history of film. At the forefront of the digital revolution, the company continues to break new ground in visual effects, VR, AR, and Immersive Cinema.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic.
Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, colour, religion or belief, sex, nationality, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, disability or pregnancy or maternity. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
1333 total views, 5 today