The qualities required to succeed as a freelance animator
Although there aren’t any specific academic qualifications required to start working as a freelance animator, you will need to constantly upgrade your skills to survive in this industry. There are some more important points detailed below that anyone interested in making freelance animation as a career option should pay heed to.
However, before we move ahead, please know that there are various pros and cons of remote working. While you might have the liberty to work whenever you feel like, from wherever you want, you will also need to deal with work instability at times. Not to forget, the isolation that comes with such type of work profile.
Qualities needed to succeed as a freelance animator
- You should have a good understanding of the basic computer applications. Additionally, it is critical to master the core concepts associated with animation and graphics.
- Taking training courses on a regular basis will help you hone your already existing skills and also acquire new ones. During this learning process, you should cultivate the discipline to work with any type of deadlines.
- Having earned a bachelor’s degree in the concerned subject can prove to be very advantageous in accelerating your career in this field.
- The importance of keeping pace with the constantly changing trends in the animation and graphics industry, as well as the technologies involved, can never be underestimated.
- Developing good communication skills can go a long way in building healthy relationships with the clients and contribute to long-term sustenance as a freelance animation professional. It’s an often-overlooked skill amongst the many needed to succeed as a freelancer.
- Please remember, working as a freelance animator is a serious business which will require you to wear multiple hats to make it work over the long term. Being in this kind of work, you would be essentially running a small scale business wherein several non-animation-related skills will also come into play.
While being a freelancer you can work based on your own schedule and time, the clients’ schedules must always be respected. Staying true to client’s schedules can help you increase your credibility in their eyes.
- Being a successful freelance animator behoves that you bring your key problem-solving skills to the table. The more critical aspects of animation technology you can master, the greater will be your worth to the client. It’s not uncommon for animators to also double up as character designers and storyboard artists. Hence, it can be pretty useful to perhaps venture into 3D modelling or even a bit of lighting and texturing too.
- Freelance animators are also required to interact with clients on a regular basis, in order to make sure that the final product requirements are met to the point. How about going a step ahead and beating their expectations?! One of the ways of doing this is by offering valuable inputs. You might also have to develop different models based on the client’s concept or design; or perhaps provide some kind of visual idea based on graphics and sketches.
- Another critical aspect that a freelance animator must learn and master is price negotiation and different ways of ensuring that the clients do pay-up upon the project’s completion.
2592 total views, 1 today